Real Patient Review: Korean Double Jaw + V-line Surgery Results (Before & After)



Reason for Surgery: I have wanted surgery for a long time due to my facial asymmetry and malocclusion. During lockdown from corona virus I was working from home and doing a lot of meetings online. I began to notice my asymmetry even more and didn’t want my hang-up to affect my confidence at work.


Reason for Choosing EU: I looked at lots of different clinics in the UK, Turkey and Korea. The clinics in the UK focus on function, but I really liked that EU are experts in both function and aesthetics of face and jaw shape, and they had many previous patients with the same jaw issues as myself. The other clinics I approached in Korea were general plastic surgery clinics and they tried to recommend procedures that I didn’t ask for. In particular, I liked that EU’s surgeons didn’t seem to go for a cookie cutter approach to face shape but worked with each patient to find what would suit them best. 



Day 1: Post-surgery you have to stay awake and not drink anything for four hours: this was really tough as all I wanted to do was sleep. After the four hours was over I started feeling dizzy and experiencing nausea from the general anesthetic. The dizziness combined with struggling to breathe meant I didn’t get much sleep, but the nurse on duty overnight was really helpful.

 


Day 2: today I got my nose tube removed and my mouth disinfected by Dr. Shin. The wafer (retainer) feels quite tight and makes it hard to breathe, but I can see that it is aligning and straightening my teeth in the way I wanted.

 


Day 3: I was able to rest much better last night and slept a lot. I left the EU surgery’s recovery rooms today and got to meet surgeon Dr Kim who disinfected my mouth and told me I’m not too swollen, although I feel like a capybara. Christy, the translator, helped me get my prescription and liquid food from the pharmacy. I enjoy the drink but crushed pills are very difficulty consume and taste awful.

 


Day 4: I read a lot of patients’ logs saying the swelling on day 4/5 is the worst. I thought I did all my swelling on day 3 but my face got so much bigger today that the swelling is a bit painful. It felt a lot better after the laser treatment at EU. I did a little bit of walking but I will try to do more tomorrow to help the swelling decrease. I’m craving a lot of salty food at the moment too.



Day 5: swelling is still large and I’ve developed bruising on my neck and on the left side next to my mouth. I’m getting better at using big straws to drink smoothies and milkshakes - although it takes a while to make sure I’m properly forming a seal with my lips as I can’t feel most of my top lip yet.

 


Day 6: I removed the tape across my chin which hurt quite a lot. I can now open my mouth to over one finger width, which is great because it means I can go out and eat soups in restaurants: today I went to have a ginseng soup near EU clinic which was delicious.

 


Day 7: I’m sleeping a lot better and getting used to sleeping propped up on several pillows. I also bought a humidifier which I really should have done sooner as it’s a really big help for comfortable breathing overnight. I’m getting in walking everyday but get tired very easily as it’s hard to eat enough for energy.

 


Day 8: I can’t believe it’s been a whole week since surgery. This morning I had my check up with Dr Shin who removed my rubber bands and said everything was going well. It’s a lot easier to open my mouth without the bands although I’m still only able to open to about one finger width. I’m practicing biting and can see the central line of my upper and lower teeth are meeting properly and in the middle of my face! I can talk almost normally now, although my facial muscles do get tired from this quite quickly. The best news is I’ve discovered I can eat cheesecakes as they’re soft enough and full of energy.

 


Day 9: I’m feeling a lot better and energetic: I spent today exploring bukchon in Seoul and most of the day on my feet. I also managed to match my yellow neck and face bruising to my jumper, although the bruising is fading.

 


Day 12: the bruising on my face is faint and nearly gone. I’m starting to get some feeling back in my top lip. Walking everyday does seem to be reducing the swelling. I finished the course of drugs (antibiotics, painkillers, anti-nausea) a few days ago and I’m feeling fine.

 


Day 13: I managed to celebrate Christmas with lots of different soups today! I’m getting used to cleaning my teeth with the mouth wash and children’s tooth brush - but I am really looking forward to properly brushing my teeth again.

 


Day 15: I had my stitches taken out today by Dr Shin! I remember watching another patient’s video saying she found her stitch removal hurt a lot, but I only felt one stitch, the rest were completely painless. I’ve had rubber bands put back in to help keep my wafer firmly in place and align my bite. I had some practice at attaching the bands as I’ll have to wear them most of the time (except when eating). I wasn’t great at it but I’m sure I’ll get better with more attempts. I spoke to my family over the weekend who were amazed at how little swelling I have and how much progress I’ve made in two weeks since the surgery!

 


Day 17: I’m doing a fair amount of walking everyday - I spent the day in the national museum of Korea viewing exhibits. I’m getting some movement back in my facial muscles that allow me to smile, I still can’t smile normally but it is less weird.

 


Day 20: the swelling is still in the process of receding. I still don’t have full feeling back on my right cheek just next to my nose, on my upper lip and on the roof of my mouth, although I haven’t felt any pain and I’m not in any discomfort.

 


Day 23: I’ve been practicing my jaw exercises and getting in lots of walking everyday (even swimming a couple of days ago). My jaw movements seem fine although I don’t seem able to completely open my mouth to two fingers’ width yet. It’s very strange to feel like I’m opening my jaw as wide as possible, but that it’s only really wide enough for a spoon and some food.

 


Day 27: I forgot to take a picture but I had my screws taken out today, it was mostly painless and super quick: there was just a bit of blood in my mouth that needed rinsing. I also had my final meeting with Dr. Shin before leaving Korea - we went over X-rays so I could see the changes and any questions I had regarding the operation or the rest of my recovery. The difference in my x-rays was amazing, I can see that my bone structure has changed to one that it mostly symmetrical and my teeth line up. I’m really sad to be missing out on future checkups in the EU clinic but Christy assured me that she will be on hand over WhatsApp to help with any questions I have during the rest of my healing process.

 


Day 28: I’m back in my home country after flying and didn’t have any problems with the flight - I was even let through customs without any queries about my face or appearance! My family are surprised and relieved to see the changes (not dramatic but still impactful) and are over the moon the surgery and recovery have all been going so well so far.

 


Day 31: It’s been one month since the surgery! I feel like it has passed by so quickly and I’m glad the worst bits (day 2-5) are behind me. There is still swelling in my cheeks although I don’t mind it so much (except it looks worse than it is on video calls). I’m doing my jaw exercises every day but I feel like I’m stuck at only being able to open my mouth to two fingers width. It’s nice to be home and be able to make myself food that I can eat: porridge, soups, smoothies, protein shakes and rice pudding! I didn’t realize I had lost weight until I put on some jeans that fitted me before but now a loose around my legs. 


Day 38: I’m getting my dimples back as the swelling goes down! This week my right cheek got a bit red, warm and puffy, I was worried as it seems to be going against the trend of my swelling decreasing. I checked in with EU and Christy who let me know it was probably the nerves healing but to keep an eye on it. They seem to be right because the redness has gone and I’m starting to get flashes of sensation in my cheek and upper gums (which lost feeling). I’ve been eating oat porridge, yoghurt, baked beans, soft mushrooms, eggs, fluffy pancakes, and meals where I can cut up vegetables (like carrots, beetroot, courgette) into small chunks so they can get soft enough for me to eat from cooking.

 


Day 44: I’ve discovered that my face is puffier in the mornings when I wake up and then loses swelling over the day - I prop myself up with a few pillows when I go to bed but maybe not enough which is why the swelling builds up overnight. I’m really happy with how the swelling is going down generally, I can see even more of my face shape and jawline. I have part feeling on the roof of my mouth and my upper lip now, although I feel like my upper lip doesn’t move as fast as I would like it to when I talk, so some of my speech comes across a little slurred if I try to talk too fast.

 


Day 53: I can now open my mouth to three fingers width! I’m also getting some sensation back in my upper gums, which is actually making brushing my teeth on my upper jaw quite uncomfortable as I can feel a bit of the toothbrush but not how hard I am brushing. I’m eating lots of soups, porridge and soft pasta dishes.



Day 60: I don’t think much has changed in the last week in terms of swelling or sensation in my gums or top lip. I’ve been away from home and so I’ve been taking photos during sightseeing: it’s been strange to feel the normal discomfort I’ve always felt while taking a photo of myself, but be able to look at the photos now and not feel embarrassed or want to hide the photo afterwards because the asymmetry is barely there. I’ve felt so much happier being in photos with my friends and loved ones because I’m more confident in how I look.



Day 67: sensation on the roof of my mouth is feeling more like normal. I saw many friends this week and got compliments on how I look.

 


Day 89: it’s now been 3 months since the surgery! I feel so much better and more confident. I’ve also noticed the swelling in my face can fluctuate from day to day depending if I do light exercise, which I’ve been able to do more often now. I do a lot of walking, cycling, light weights, anything that’s low impact.

 

Day 120: I really love my new face shape. I’m much happier and more confident both with friends and at work. At the moment I still don’t have full sensation in the upper left half of the roof of my mouth, and the left part of my top lip feels numb, but I’m used to it and it hasn’t caused me any trouble. I sometimes have to check in the mirror that the left side of my mouth is smiling with the right side but it always is.

 



Day 154: I slipped and hit my chin a few days ago and I was worried it was going to damage my jaw but actually sensation has started returning to the upper left part of my mouth and it feels a bit tingly.

 


Day 183: it’s been six months since the surgery in Seoul! I can eat pretty much anything I want now (I still avoid hard and chewy breads though). And I’m getting feeling back in the upper left of my mouth and left of my top lip.


Day 232: not much change in sensation for the last couple of months! One thing I’ve tried eating that I haven’t since the surgery is biting apples, as my favourite ones are normally quite hard. It felt a bit weird so I went back to slicing them up to eat.


Day 365: 1 YEAR!!! It’s gone by so fast and honestly it has been so easy to forget because I haven’t had any problems. There is some numbness still on the top left of my lip but I can feel everything there, it’s just a little tingly. The gum on my top jaw on the left side, still has some numbness, but I barely notice it because it doesn’t make any difference to my day to day life. I remember waking up from the surgery and feeling my face as this huge, swollen, misshapen thing and wondering what I would look like when the swelling went. Looking back, I’m so happy I had the double jaw surgery, I feel much more confident and like the way I look. My bite is great and my teeth are much more aligned as well, so I don’t feel as anxious eating with other people too. I’m looking forward to eating all of the Christmas foods I missed last year.


Day 400: I forgot to update on foods - I’m a vegetarian so I don’t eat anything super tough like meats, but I’ve been easily biting into harder things like apples, carrots and chewy breads (I love sourdough toast which can be pretty solid) for five months now. I don’t even worry about it anymore. Looking back over pictures from six months ago, I can see that my face is slimmer now even though it was smaller from the surgery. I don’t think I have any more swelling left to lose, which is good because I love my face shape as it is now.




Comments