Real Patient Review: Korean Double Jaw + Revision V-line Surgery Results (Before & After)

Reason for undergoing surgery and why I choose Eu: After I entered middle school, maybe because of the habit of chewing on one side, it was so noticeable that my chin was asymmetrical when I took a photo. And after I get into high school, my friends told me that my chin is asymmetrical. So it became my biggest insecurity. And then I became an adult, not just about the aesthetic but also TMJ problem worsening. So I searched on Instagram, among the maxillofacial surgery clinic, the Eu has a lot of good reviews and videos, that gave me credibility. When I see the doctor, they tell me that it was my problem precisely and I already got some money. So I feel like this is the moment.

Day 1

Meanwhile, I was waiting for the surgery in my room, and I saw another patient who finish their surgery. The nurses support the patient and keep saying try to wake was look like my future. That was the most nervous moment. When I went to the operating room, I only remember inhaling the anesthesia gas. When I woke up, I was in my hospitalization room, lying down. The breathing was okay after the surgery. But it turns out that I was allergic to it. So whenever they put anti-inflammatory medication, I vomited the blood that was stagnant inside of me. I told my parents not to come because I didn’t want them to see me like this, but they were there anyway. Still, I feel like a guardian will be very beneficial to you. They give emotional support. I slept very well when my father was with me but I couldn’t fall asleep when he left.

Day 2

I think the surgery was well done but the breathing is starting to feel difficult. The pain is fine because of the painkiller injection but as I said, breathing is really difficult. Today was day 2 after the surgery so I needed to go to take a de-swelling laser treatment but because of the breathing, it was even difficult to walk. And I vomited a lot of blood before I left-They told me I’m very sensitive to medication so I think this won’t happen to everybody normally. And I needed to use a syringe to Nucare or water but I wasn’t even hungry and I just didn’t want to put something in my mouth. I don’t know why I was so sleepy. I don’t have the energy to message and I feel sad because it’s only me.

 

Day3

The day of discharge! Since it was Sunday, there was no one and the doctor came to see the result and disinfection. He told me to take care well and make sure to have meals and medication regularly. I’m worried about it that I could do it well. Also, the nurse who takes care of me needs to work through the weekend only because of me, and I feel so grateful for it. She was so kind and nice. After I arrived home, I made a bed just like the hospital and lie down but it’s not the same haha. Still difficult to breathe and wash my mouth. Even today I didn’t know about the product-Otribine, so I thought the saline solution was the Otribine, and keep wondering why is not working. Just hoping time flies fast.

Day4

My head hurts so badly because I slept poorly. I contacted the consultant that my nose is so stuffy and asked about my concerns, she answered me very kindly and also cheer me up. I gained so many positive vibes from the personnel here. I took off the stickers on my face so I took it off with the gauze with the water. But oh..water doesn’t help a lot of it haha they have so strongly adhered. I can see my cheek goes swell more and more. It’s difficult because even the inside of the mouth swelled. I should’ve taken care of my stamina up to 100% capacity before the surgery. It’s difficult to do whatever I do, lie down or sit. I want to eat so badly. 

Day5

I went to the hospital for laser treatment. Because I couldn’t eat well, my legs were trembling, and can’t stand up easily. All the personnel worried about me. I was so upset that is it only me again but they told me it depends on the patients so no need to worry about :) After the laser treatment, I ask for disinfection but it hurt pretty badly. I think I didn’t see anything related to this that could be painful. Anyway, it was so difficult to live a daily life so I took an IV. It took 4 hours, so I feel bad because he needed to wait too long. But what I realized was IV is not everything, it impacts me differently when I have meals properly and when I’m not. I felt the necessity of having a meal. I barely have the Nucare because I can’t open my mouth. Still, I really need to take it well!

Day7

A week post-op! I slept well at least today :) I’m glad enough with that. Also after I woke up my neck hurt and the inside of my mouth swelled a lot, which made me feel frustrated. But after I slept okay last night, it’s better! I am still hungry and difficult to do something, but if I say the difference that would be swelling has gone a little bit, and easier to breathe. It’s way better if I compared it to day 1. I went to the hospital for disinfection and one week’s check-up. And it was so hurtful!!! I didn’t have any infection or something but it’s because it hasn’t healed 100%. I will eat better to recover well. I think it would be hurtful with the stitch out too. Anyway, it’s already been a week. I hope I can open my mouth at least a spoon size can go in on the 2 weeks mark :)

Day8

My head hurt and I guess because they tighten up the wire when they disinfection yesterday. And I felt the inside of my nose is more swollen and mumbling so I asked about it when I went to the hospital for the de-swelling laser treatment and they told me it could happen considering the time after the surgery. And so far I keep sleeping on the cot but now I can sleep on the normal bed with a higher pillow. I always find it difficult to sleep because my but was hurting. Now everything is fine except for eating! I keep losing weight.

Day9

I woke up with mumbled ear today. I always sleep late and wake up late, but after the surgery, I woke up and sleep early. I try to think positively so that I could have a healthier sleeping pattern. I can see the de-swelling but around the jaw is still not noticeable My friends keep worried about me but when I told them I fixed my intermaxillary they don’t understand and kept trying to send me gifts that I can chew. I was thankful but also sad…I always tried to go out for a walk but going to the hospital for the de-swelling laser is already a workout for me so I don’t go for a walk yet. I know what I need to do tho… I thought I could breathe well by this time but I’m still struggling because it was difficult to eat something. All good besides that. 

Day10

I plan to go for a walk since I don’t go to the hospital. But I kept sleeping because I was so sleepy. My head keeps hurting because of the intermaxillary fixation. I hope it gets better soon. I don’t know how to diminish swelling quickly. The swelling inside of my mouth is still uncomfortable

Day11

Whenever I go to take the laser treatment the doctor keeps asking me ‘How are you, are you having your meals regularly’ I think it’s so sweet and caring. I can see he genuinely cares about my health. And to not let him down, I need to have my meal well. 

Day12

These days inside of my mouth is swelling so badly and the part where my upper lips and braces swell so much it is itchy. I can’t see any difference in de-swelling, I guess I need to adopt it. 

Day13

Whenever I go to take a de-swelling laser treatment my father accompanies me and I feel so sorry about that because it’s so hot now. I want to recover fast so I can open my mouth and have my meal very well as :) I keep losing weight and now I’m almost close to a skeleton. Soon after I remove the stitches, I will have tons of potatoes and sweet potatoes!

 

Day14

If there’s a side effect after surgery is lung capacity. I’m not sure if is it a side effect of the surgery or not but when I take the subway it’s difficult to breathe. I feel like I’m about to faint because I can’t breathe but I never fainted yet. I told my boyfriend and he told me he experienced the same thing after general anesthesia so I try not to worry about it much. I took the laser treatment and prepare the food that I will take tomorrow. My father told me I could make it tomorrow but I was so excited to I gotta made it today. Now I took all the medication that was prescribed so I took strawberry milk and coffee milk and because of that my condition is very good! It will be better after the stitch out tomorrow!

Day15

The stitch out the day!! I saw the reviews that it was painful but endurable. The doctor undoes all the fixation and opens my mouth. That was a little bit scary. I was worried my jaw might dislocate, but it ended up as my imagination. Also now I can take off the wafer when I eat something. I was so happy but I still need to use an elastic band. I practice how to use that band and had the food that I made yesterday but it feels weird because my upper palate was still numb. Still, I was so happy that I could have eaten. The most shameful part is the elastic band. I have never done this before, so I keep seeing blood when I’m doing but I will get used to it. Getting used to this is the main goal from now on. Also the post-surgery exercise as well!

Day16

When I take a meal I took off the elastic bands and the wafer. It feels so stiff, makes me scary. What I realized through this surgery is that I’m such a coward. I didn’t have much of things yesterday because it was the first time I opened my mouth and had something after the surgery. But today I had soft tofu, some yogurt, pound cake deep in milk, mashed potato, and plain rice porridge. It was DELICIOUS. It takes a long time to have it because I’m having it with such a small spoon, but I’m so happy that I can eat it! The swelling inside of the mouth is massive so it feels weird whenever I do the post-operation exercise!

Day19

It’s already post-op day 19! The left side of the year is quite mumbling…I was guessing maybe it gets better if I open my mouth more but it kept feeling like I was underwater. So I asked the doctor when I went for the check-up. Because of the swelling existing inside of the mouth, the upper lips chafe to the braces and which causes a blister. I still have mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and this is such happiness. I do the post-surgery exercise three times a day. I originally have such a small mouth so I can only open my mouth with a size finger.

Day 21

I met my boyfriend a while. I’ve also done some makeup! I couldn’t talk so I needed to type what I wanted to say. I sent the pictures so he knows what I look like now but he was still surprised when he saw me in person. I told myself I look like a different person and I feel like the surgery was very well done. I need to do the post-op exercise more. I still can’t put my finger on more than one.

Day22

I went to the hospital to check the bite. The bite was correct and now I can do the mouth exercise more. Yayy! I discussed the mumbling issue and he told me I can go to see the doctor or that sometimes it gets better when I can open my mouth more. He was super busy but answered preciously. Also when I went to the hospital, the consultant ask me how I’m doing and do I having a meal well. This caring is so thoughtful and I’m so thankful to the hospital. I don’t know how they can put all their effort into the patients… Now putting elastic band is quite easy so I try to talk and do the exercise more.

Day24

I went to Cheongpyeong with my parents and I realized I still lack physical energy. After I walk for a while under the sun, I was lack of air and my chest felt so stuffy. Besides the ear infection and the physical ability, there is no uncomfortable point.

Day25

Now I’m going to the hospital for the infection and they told me it will take 2 weeks for me to get healed. I’m so frustrated! I feel like I’m kept underwater because I can hear my breathing too well, it’s difficult to listen to others. I keep doing the exercise but it’s still difficult to do it. My mouth is originally small tho…

Day 26

I felt chest pain for the first time in my life, I was so surprised. I thought this is also a side effect of the surgery. But it was just a moment so I guess I don’t need to worry about it. Also after the ear infection, I have a hoarse throat and difficulty making a sound. 

Day27

I met my boyfriend again and he keeps saying who I am lol I don’t know if is it a mock-up or a compliment. Also, I realized why my zygoma looks bigger. The swelling diminished a lot and after it swelled down the cheekbones and fat looked like disappeared. I guess because I can’t chew, so I don’t use my facial muscles well. I plan to recover and gain weight when I start to eat food properly.

Day29

I met my university friends for the first time after the surgery. They told me it’s so amazing my chin is smaller. But I lose weight too much so it would be perfect if I gain more weight. It feels so good when they told me my face got smaller. I told them I was suffering from an ear infection and had a hoarse throat. They worried about me so much. I’m fine… I kept eating potatoes and had an Earl Gray cake deep in milk and it was crazy! So delicious!! I lose too much weight so all of my pants are not fit. If there is any patient who undergoes weeks 2-3, I wish them to have meals properly! I feel like this is not a good way to lose weight.

Day30

I went to the hair salon and dye my hair. I was scared that they will touch my chin when they wash or dry my hair… The swelling inside of the mouth is quite diminished so I had difficulty to do make a kissy face and o with my mouth. And now it’s slightly easier to do it. The ear infection doesn’t heal yet but it keeps improving. I still don’t have a sense of my upper palate and the right tip of my chin. But the chin side has back the sensation compared to before. Because when I feel itchy I scratch my face and feel better after that.

Day32

Today is the day I go to the clinic! I went for the one monthly check-up! When I saw the doctor he recognized right away that the swelling went down a lot and I lost weight a lot as well. It’s good to receive this attention. I took a photo to compare how the surgery was well done and gosh! Because the chin went backward, the nose looks higher. I originally had a small and flat nose but after the surgery, my nose look so high. This is another benefit of the surgery. The doctor told me good job for a month and that my jawline will be smoother. That was so sweet and gentle of him, I was so relieved. Now I can chew something soft and because I have a small mouth, make sure to do the post-exercise. I will do that for sure!! But if there’s only one shame, I was so glad to meet an orthodontist for a while. And I thought I will remove the elastic band today but it’s still a bit difficult to bite firmly on the wafer. So I need to keep taking that band for the front teeth for two more weeks. I was so upset…But I guess I need to hold it for the perfect occlusion... I want to finish this and talk more. Anyway, the orthodontist was so kind and explained thoroughly so I am grateful for it. I hope I can get rid of it in two weeks!

Day33

Starting the day by putting on the elastic band became my daily life. But it’s only two of them, and it’s less uncomfortable if compared to before when I took four of them. It’s not that I took it on the upper and lower screw but the upper one is on the screw and the lower one for the braces so I can do it in 10 seconds. Since I can chew something, I met my friends and had pasta for the first time after the surgery and I was confusing did I chewing correctly. The pasta is still subtle to have it. The feeling of biting something is so weird. It feels like my teeth are flying somewhere.

Day36

I recovered perfectly from the ear infection. It really took 2 weeks as the doctor said. I still have inflammation inside of my ears but it’s fine since I can hear very well. At least I don’t need to go to see the doctor for the ear infection. I can definitely open my mouth wider and chew better. So I guess the ear infection has been well fixed. I kept feeling like I’m underwater and now it feels so good.

Day40

I guess the way to recover is to eat well and chew well so I had so many ramyeon that I don’t like. Also, I soaked the cookie to soften it, and never forget to have a potato! My zygoma was so noticeable but now after I start to use the muscles are back and the cheek line is smoother now. I feel a tingly sensation inside of the screw when I have something hot, I guess I need to be careful. There’s no uncomfortable point anymore. The infection has healed, I can open my mouth…Oh! Yeah, the elastic band is a bit uncomfy but I will remove it as time flies. I still don’t have sensations on the upper palate and the tip of the chin, but it’s not that uncomfortable. It feels like another person’s skin when I touch it but I don’t really care about it much! It was truly everything is fine one month after the double jaw surgery. 

Day42

Originally on day 45, it will be decided whether will I remove the elastic band that I’m wearing or not. But I needed to start work so I shift back an appointment to today. When I went to the hospital, the consultant told me she wish that I can remove the band and find a good place to work with such a bright smile, and that make me feel so happy for real. Anyway, the doctor told me I took the band very well so I don’t need to wear it anymore and even I don’t need to take a wafer any more! I was so happy that I could even fly in the sky! I was so thankful to them. I set an appointment one month later and I start to do the orthodontic treatment. Now I can speak freely and I don’t need to take off the wafer when I eat something in front of people. I always feel good when I go to the EU.

Day 45

It’s good not to wear the band and the wafer but after I took it off it feels awkward yet because my teeth don’t bite properly. Still, it’s good not to bother me since I don’t need to take it on and off. I’m going to the interview today! The suit for the interview is too small since gained too much weight, so I bought a new one. Also when I talk, I keep chewing on the left side of my mouth. But that’s the only uncomfortable point. 

Day50

My face got smaller so I wanted to change my hair, so I did it. It was such a difficult thing to do that go to the hair salon right after the surgery. But I feel like no pressure on it as nothing happened. But I still can’t have something hard, so when my friends need to eat something soft when they meet me. I can’t have the meat! I don’t know when the double chin will disappear. Even if I pull my chin a little, I can see the double chin. Also, I still can’t open my mouth very big, also I still can’t feel my upper palate! 

Day 53

Now I’m having so much well so I feel like I likely gain weight so fast. Also, I used to keep having some snacks then I couldn’t eat very well, this became a habit now, and it’s difficult to stop having it. Also when I have something hot, the screw on the left bottom molar is tingly. I’m not sure if this hurt or what but it’s irritating. When I think about it, the swelling inside of the mouth still remains and I presume it’s because of the screws.

Day 56

I went to Paldang and had pizza and pasta with my friends. Also, having the edge of pizza in the dipping sauce was my favorite. But I needed to throw it away because chewing was so hard. I felt rich. Also, I had Yuk-Gea-Jang and Yuk-Jeon for the dinner with my friends and the Yuk-Jeon was so soft, I could chew it very slowly and gently. I still chew on the left inside of my mouth. But I guess I can’t help it because the molar is close to that side.

Day 59

This is my first day after the surgery. It’s very awkward but when my coworkers found out that I did the double jaw surgery are so curious about the surgery. Also, I told them I can’t chew something hard, they think I can’t eat anything at all! But I’m having my meal very well. It’s a little bit sad I can’t have a meat dish. Also, the left upper palate sense has come back! I didn’t notice it when it came back… I guess I didn’t notice a difference no matter what it wasn’t uncomfortable.

Day72

I feel like the midline of the teeth isn’t in the middle weirdly. I mean I guess it’s not in the middle but I can only bite the left molar so I bite asymmetrically to touch the right side of the molar as well. I notice it after I look in the mirror, so I need to bite correctly but I forgot how to…I will go to see the doctor soon so I will ask the doctor. Also, I still have a double chin and I’m not sure it’s challenging to remove it because I’m gaining weight that I lost..? I’m not sure.

Day79

It’s already been day 79 after the surgery! I’m doing very well when did I do the surgery. But I keep chewing inside of my left mouth and the screw is still bothering me. Also, I’m not sure if the current bite is correct or not… There are no big problems but just small things that bother me. Also, people are greedy and change their attitudes so easily. I guess I want to be perfect! I had Dark-Bok-Um-Tang today and it was very soft so I can chew it very gently. I start to feel confused that whether or not. And speaking of eating, I think the most difficult thing is the braces. I need to wash my mouth really precisely. Because even though I didn’t chew a lot, foods are stuck inside of them so easily!

Day 114

I saw my former coworker for the first time after the surgery. Her face has been changed as well. Our face was very new to each other and she make me a new nickname “Cute lower face” After the surgery, my mouth looks so much smaller. I wonder if there’s no way my lips go wider in a horizontal direction. When I see my expressionless face, I feel like my lips are smaller than my nose. 

Day 128

I don’t know when this double chin will disappear! I thought I just gained some weight since it was noticeable from when I start to eat properly. But no, this is definitely double chin swelling. It’s quite hard when I touch it, not like fat. Whenever I do a smartphone and feel it, it’s not very pleasant. I hope it will disappear soon. 

Day 135

I went to see the doctor for the 4-month checkup. And I discussed the teeth midline isn’t correct with the doctor and he said he can align that with the braces. But I keep trying to avoid something too chewy or hard. Also, I will put on the elastic band for a month only when I sleep. Putting that band on isn’t a problem at all, I just worried it might get bent.

Day137

My left side of the cheek has dysaesthesia! When I have something cold, it feels tingly and feels colder. Also when I part my lips strongly and smile intentionally I feel like I have a cramp! But it’s not I can’t feel anything. So I will keep my eyes on it and if it keeps going I will ask the doctor.


Day 148

I only allow drinking alcohol 3 months after the surgery. So I kept haven’t had alcohol at new work and I had today. I was worried it might feel weird or something was wrong if I drink, but nothing happens! Just I feel like I had it for a while! Everyone welcomed that I had it and that I could have alcohol. Now I’m in a stabled period so I’m more relieved in general. I still need to be careful with chewy or hard food.

Day 159

It’s been three months that I worked but because of the mask, my coworkers noticed that I put on braces. Also, I didn’t mention that I did the double jaw surgery but somehow they figured it out and told me it’s so natural! I even recommend this hospital since his acquaintance is considering doing the surgery. He asked me are they really good and I replied that I didn’t been to any other surgery clinic but I never regret that I choose the EU.


Day 163

I had some steak at my friend’s house and because the inside of the mouth is tightened so if I cut it big, it was difficult to chew. I can open my mouth with only three fingers sizes. Inside, my mouth size is small.

 

Day177

Now it’s been 5 months and soon 6 months check up! The last time the orthodontist told me I need to take the elastic band, the midline of the teeth was fine. But it’s slightly unbalanced again. The doctor said that this amount of it can be fixed by orthodontic treatment, so there is no need to worry about it. I changed the wire to more thick one and out the elastic band on the upper part of the braces. It’s fine because it’s not that noticeable. Anyway, how well do I need to brush my teeth to not be hurtful when I do the scaling? It’s so uncomfortable when I do it, and the sound is also horrifying. Gladly my teeth aren’t aligned originally so even if I changed the wire, there’s not much pain except for the time when I just started it.

Day 182

My right side of the cheek also swallows and I guess it’s because of the wire has been thickened. There are so many marks inside my mouth! Also, I had stomatitis around the canine tooth, whenever I speak the braces chafe there and so hurt. If I let it still, it will be healed quickly but since it keeps rubbing by the braces…I don’t know when it will be healed. I keep concerned about the midline of the teeth so I keep my eyes on that mainly.

6 months

I couldn’t go to see the orthodontist on when it was scheduled, the midline of the teeth is keep irritating… I asked my friend who also did the orthodontic treatment, and she said that the amount of misaligned can be fixed. So I will make sure to visit there and ask about it! I turned my chin left which was more distorted to right. I noticed that I use less muscle on the left side so I lift my left lip line. It’s almost been 6months after the surgery but I still got a thing to concern yet. And I regret that I didn’t do the facial muscle exercise more. My weight has been totally back to surgery! It wasn’t looking good after the surgery because I lost too much weight but now it’s fine! I don’t worry about the chin anymore but about other things like when this orthodontic treatment will be finished or will be able to keep the midline of the teeth, etc…


7Months

The sensation of the left cheek is still awkward… But it’s not like there’s no sensation at all! I can feel the scratching feeling of the braces. It’s not uncomfortable, but I feel this is why the left side of the cheek muscle is not moving very well. I don’t care about the midline of the teeth anymore. Because I know that I will fix it soon with the elastic band. Also, I newly noticed that when I turn my head to flip my hair, I can feel a tingly sensation on the right side of my jaw. I guess it’s because of the titanium plate. I thought it was just a coincidence and felt it again when I did the same movement unconsciously. The space inside of the mouth is a bit smaller than before when I chew something and try to eat something else to eat, the food popped out from the mouth. It’s a bit embarrassing. Cheekbone muscle or fat is bothering so I’ll try to find face contouring surgery or Botox. There’s no big issue! There are small issues like this.

8 Months

There’s no huge difference from last month. I put the elastic band to organize the midline of the teeth and it was very uncomfortable up to two days after it. But it was fine after that. I took off four of the screws! I had eight of them after the surgery. It’s also noticeable from the photo but the left cheek moves differently, so if I don’t smile consciously symmetrical, the length of both sides of the mouth is different. So… I tried to get used to it. Anyway, the conclusion is I wish the orthodontic treatment will be finished soon.

 



Comments