Patients honest review - EU Real Review

Our Patients Honest Review


EU Real Review

- Patient from America -


Period: Before surgery 
My search to correct my upper jaw overbite and overjet began in 2016 when I was 44 years old. During my teenage years, I had braces to address teeth overcrowding. The dentist back in the 1980s removed 4 teeth. 2 from  the upper and the other 2 from lower jaw. I wore braces for 4 years throughout junior and senior school. It did aligned my teeth but did not address my gummy smile , overjet and overbite.  The dentist back then did recommend jaw surgery. However the  recovery process due to surgical techniques back then were long and tedious. My mother decided against such drastic intervention. 

As I get older, I noticed  increase prominence in mouth protrusion with increase mouth breathing and inability to close my mouth when I sleep. I was also conscious of my  bad side profile due to a receding  chin . My dentist also commented that I was grinding my teeth and recommended that I see an oral maxillofacial surgeon. I did not have any TMJ issues but i notice my tongue were pushing against the bottom row of my teeth causing them to misalign again. 

Over the past several months, I had online consultation with various South Korean oral maxillofacial and cranial facial surgeons. It was a long laborious search as I have to consider the cost of surgery, the surgeon’s skills and quality of post care available for someone like me who will be traveling alone to Korea. I arrived in Korea on Nov 4 2017. 

I interviewed with 4 surgeons during my 2 day selection process. I made a final decision to choose  Dr Kim Jong Yun from EU dental. I made the choice due to his experience, his use of advance techniques to minimize bleeding and swelling, his well equipped surgical centre and availability of English speaking staff. I appreciated his detailed assessment and explanation of  what he proposed for surgical intervention. He was precise and knowledgeable . I felt relieved having finally made the decision.



Period: D day, November 13 2017. Day of surgery  
I arrived back in Korea the night before. Eu dental sent a driver to pick me up at the airport and brought me back to prugio city apartment at Gangnam. I felt relaxed and slept ok. I actually had eye surgery at 730 am in the morning at another clinic. It took 3 hours under light sedation. I was accompanied by the nurse to EU at 1 Pm and had 2 jaw surgery at 2 30 pm under GA. 

Eu dental staff were well organized and efficient with the coordination of the 2 surgeries. Prior to operation, I paid the remainder of my fees., the surgery procedure were reviewed and I was brought to an individual room to change and put my belonging. It will also be my recovery room. 

I estimated that I was in surgery till 6 30pm. I don’t really know. I just remembered coming around and being asked to try to stay awake for the next 6 hours. I was not allowed any water till  2.30 am. It was hard as I did not drink since 12 am the previous day. My throat was more than swollen and dry. It was  difficult for me to swallow as it hurts a lot. 

At first I noticed it was easier for me to breathe through my nose but later in the night, my nasal bleed got worse and it filled my sinuses. I was panicking as I could not breathe right. The night nurse was attentive, we used sign board to communicate as I could not speak. 

She stayed with me in my room as she noticed I continued to bleed through my nose. At one point,I had to ask for a straw to help  breathe through my mouth. However, probably due to miscommunication, she did not end up providing me one. It was frustrating not to be understood. We also had an issue with my eye medication which had to be applied at a certain time. Otherwise night nursing care was good. I appreciated that she tried her best to understand me. But I felt she could have helped suction me so I could breathe better that night. Unless she is not qualified to do that. 

The first night was hard. I sat up at 60 degrees angle for drainage. And was going in and out of sleep. I remembered having to call the night nurse for help quite a few times. I could not get out of bed as I had a catheter. It was a good idea as I was too weak, uncomfortable and groggy.With my age and having 2 surgery in one day, my recovery was fair to say the least. A couple of times during the night, I felt anxious and surreal, mainly because I was handling all this alone with no family on my side.



Period: Day 2
I woke up after a fitful night of little sleep and difficulty breathing. The morning nurse came in and suctioned me which provided a huge amount of relief. My throat is still swollen and hurt every time I drink water from the syringe. It was a hard task to master as I try to coordinate the amount of fluid into my mouth, my breathing and swallowing. I choked a couple times. 

The English translator came by to review the night. I gave her my feedback. I was then brought to see Dr Kim who checked and performed nasal decongestion. One thing I noted is that Dr Kim is always very gentle when he performed oral examination and procedures. I can tell he took a lot of care to not cause pain or discomfort. I had literally no pain in my jaws. All the discomfort since surgery has been the nasal bleeding, congestion and swollen throat.I believe he excelled in his surgical technique. My lips were very swollen and slightly numb but I could move them with minimal effort.

Due to eye surgery, I was not able to see well and the nurses were helpful in getting me the ice packs for my face and eyes. I don’t remember much of day 2 other than I was trying to cope with breathing and swallowing. I was too unsteady to get up to walk as I would have like. I did make various trips to the toilet on my own after the catheter was removed. I also started running a fever which later Dr Kim stated it was due to me aspirating on my blood during surgery. The fever was controlled eventually. The second night nurse performed her job well. She was more clinical than personal. The second night I slept a little better and the night nurse did a wonderful job of making sure my fever doesn’t spike.



Period: Day 3
I woke up this morning feeling slightly stronger but still congested. It was frustrating to have to keep wiping blood off my nose. I was not suppose to blow or cough hard. I had little appetite, only drank a lot of water to hydrate and took only one can of protein drink they gave because I felt I could not breathe after drinking the protein drink. Dr Kim saw me again.

Actually I forgot to mention the night before I was so congested I asked the evening nurse for a nasal spray. However due to the fact I met my quota of 2 steroids spray that day, Dr Kim who happened to be at the clinic late that night was very kind to suction me. He explained why he can’t do it too often as my sinus lining was still fragile. The English staff came to inform me that I would be discharge after I see Dr Kim. Dr Kim placed some elastic bands in my mouth as I told him I had difficulty bringing my lower jaw to my upper jaw. 

After discharged I was accompanied by the English translator to the pharmacy downstairs to get my medication. I was surprised that they gave me my medication in capsule form. I had to ask them to change it to powder. I think this is an important thing to note for the discharge coordinator to be aware and inform the pharmacy staff of patient’s special needs. A more proactive approach would be appreciated in this area. 

Dr Kim also performed due diligence by having me go for another post op chest x ray to rule out pneumonia since I aspirated on my own blood. I had to go to another clinic to get it done and was accompanied there before being placed in a taxi to go home. Before I left, one of the consultant gave me a hug and I appreciate that! 

Once home, It was a chore  trying to get the medication and food schedule on time. I also had a reaction to the antibiotics prescribed which made me had very bed diarrhea. I was already weak and this just put the cherry on the cake!. I left EU a message late at night and the response was fast and Dr Kim would prescribed another form of antibiotics.



Period: Day 4.
I slept so so during the night as I had to make frequent trips to the bathroom. My face ifelt more swollen with turgidity felt around the apples of my cheeks. Swelling in my eyes has gone down somewhat and nasal bleeding was less. I could breathe easier and swallow easier.  I made my way by taxi back to the clinic this morning. I had laser deswelling  treatment first for about 15  mins and saw Dr Kim once more. He assured me the first week post op is always hard and that  I was doing ok. 

The English translator also helped me order a blender and it arrived so yay I feel like I am more equip to deal with the whole liquid diet I decided to walk back to the apartment . The walk was about 45 mins which I did slowly . It was hard to be out when your diarrhea was unpredictable but it got better towards the end of the day.  

I felt like miss piggy at the moment with my swollen face. I don’t recognize myself. I made an effort to do light stretching and walking every 3 hours with facial lymphatic drainage during the day.I also took Arnica pills and gel on my skin. Feeling really sad looking at my face and can’t imagine what I am going to look like eventually



Period: Day 5
Again sleep was erratic as I could feel the physical swelling coming on my face at night and I would get up to ice and put on my facial compression bandage which I hate. It does not allow me to breathe well and felt it was too tight all the time. Getting more used to the routine of medication and drinking liquids. I was starting to feel hungry more often but still have the runs to the bathroom. Took a taxi again to the clinic for deswelling treatment. 

Thought I would see Dr Kim but was told I only see him next Monday. I guess communication needs to be improved so the patient knows what her appointment schedule would be like in the coming days. Especially for me I had appointments  with the other doctor. Overall the reception service staff were professional and helpful. I walked the stretch of road from sins a to Gangnam again. Got home feeling really hungry this time but stomach is still not quite right.


Period: Day 6
"Eyes stitch removal + Don't feel like it's me"
I woke up this morning hoping the facial swelling has subsided a little. To my dismay, it was not much of an improvement. I still look like a puffed up lady. I started taking Chinese herb call Pien Zhi Huang 片子癀 to help with the deswelling process and bruising. 

Today I looked jaundiced with purplish bruises around my mouth making me look like I was the Joker from Batman movie. I went to my eye clinic today for deswelling treatment. To my surprise, they decided to take partial stitches off. It was a great relief to have the under eye bandage removed. I could finally use my eye glasses to see better. My swelling was still uneven with the right side puffier than the other. I am still low in energy. 

It was freezing zero degrees outside. I decided not to walk too much. Bought a cup of yogurt drink to replenish my gut bacteria since the antibiotics wiped it out. Actually felt better stomach wise. Finally was able to take a long afternoon nap. I still have vivid dreams that woke me up. Continuing with my regimen of facial lymph drainage. Lip movements with no jaw movement exercises. Lips and cheeks felt numb but there were times tingling sensation were felt which means the nerves are waking up.



Period: Day 7


"Sipping from a cup + Still feeling ambiguous about my face."
I still have difficulty sleeping through the night. I would be woken up by inability to breath through my nose and have to consciously open my mouth slowly. Still having vivid dreams for some reason. During the night I get pins and needles sensations on my 2 Jaw where I think the screws are. The muscles ache on my right lower jaw got better. 

This morning I woke up to the softening of my mid face and cheek. The lips size have reduced in size and gaining definition. I could feel my chin bone for the first time. The facial edema continues to travel downwards the chest giving it a yellow tinge. Purplish bruises still persisted around the mouth. My eyelids continue to deflate but swelling on both sides were still uneven especially under the eyes. Succeeded in sipping my liquids from a cup. I was able to control my lips and have proper seal on the cup to prevent spillage. 

The whole breathing swallowing synchronization was much better today. I didn't choke and was able to irrigate my mouth with mouth wash much better. Having a squeeze bottle helps to get any food debris out well. Energy wise I am on the uptick. I drank warmed protein shake which helped. Finally have the energy to explore the neighborhood a little. Found a market and brought some pumpkin soup and beef soup. I was out for about 2 hours and took slow steps in 3 degree cold weather. At least today my stomach is not acting up and I did not feel winded coming back. Appetite wise I got hungry every 1 and a half hour so I have to coordinate my meal intake before I leave my apartment. Towards the evening, the nerves are definitely waking up.


Period: Day 8
"Bandage off + Relief"
Went to the eye clinic this morning to have remaining stitches out and receive light treatment for my eyes. Went to dental clinic for my appointment with Dr Kim. He removed some stitches this time and bandages checked the bite and saw it was good. He progress me to the stage of being able to remove the elastic band for meals. I was shown my profile x-ray and he explained that he advanced my lower chin by 8mm and low jaw was 5mm with rotation. We are talking a total of 13mm advancement. No wonder I could feel my lower jaw muscles working hard to accommodate the new bite. I also noted the surgery had significantly increased my airway passage making it easier for me to breathe. Late at night I tried rebooking the bands with little success and plenty of frustrations and pain.





Period: Day 9
"Finally brushed my teeth + Elastic band are a pain"
My day was spent going to my eye and dental clinic for deswelling treatments and making sure I am home to drink my food and perform oral hygiene. I was glad I bought special brushes for post operation brushing. I could not feel my upper teeth and there were sensations in the lower ones. My upper roof palate was completely numb. I removed the wafer for cleaning after every meal. Still felt weird eating with open mouth. I cried at the clinic today due to frustration and pain at not being able to hook the right posterior section of my jaw. The hooks were placed way high and it hurt to stretch the cheeks and lips z. They are sensitive around the incision area.







Period: Day 10
"Eating blended porridge + Feeling unsure"
So my face continues to deflate and softens. Today my whole attention was spent on moving to another living location which I regretted. My first apartment afforded me more privacy and convenience. Manage to schedule my food and oral routine into the move on top of treatment visit. I am currently receiving light treatment for my eyes and for my jaws at 2 different clinics. I could feel the effects on my swelling while receiving it. I am starting to feel pain on my lower lip chin incision whenever I apply the elastics. It stings and make me tear up. Makes me not want to eat at all.


Period: Day 11
"More adept at elastic application + Slightly upbeat"
Sleeping longer duration through the night but I woke up to find myself trying to chew. As if I was dreaming. Very disconcerting especially if I am not allowed to do that. Not sure if I was grinding my teeth as well. Anyway I woke up at 12 noon and got about making sure I had a big lunch of blended porridge and protein shake. Oral care before I head out. Clinic staff said I looked better. I feel the hardness of my chin and stinging pain and remained worried about possibility of infection. I also notice that my back right molar is crooked. I Sent a picture to my mom and she said I have a rounder face and flatter nose. Was affected by her
remark on thanksgiving night but remained upbeat with support from people on the Korean chat group.





Period: Day 12
"Manage to go out and socialize + Feeling more social"
Today swelling continues to reduce unevenly, decided to be courageous to meet some friends for dinner. It was a major fail as I still could not take even purée within taking he elastics off. In the end I just drank some juice. Glad I took some protein shake before I went out. My mouth and nose looked crooked due to swelling. Starting to feel pain in jaw bone area whenever I apply the elastics. It’s really a hassle. Energy wise feeling better.



Period: Day 13
"Finally could brush the inside of teeth + Can't wait to get the stitches out"
Swelling continues to reduce thanks to all the daily smart light treatment. I feel perturbed by my lobsided visual. My nasal septum seems more deviated. Diet wise I was able to take blended porridge. The incision sites are starting to sting more and I am taking my own Ibuprofen very 6 hours. Helps during Elastics removal. I was able to brush my teeth and open my mouth about one finger vertical width to accommodate a small brush to brush the inner side of my teeth. Brushing the upper set of teeth feels like I am brushing an inanimate object while with the lower set there is more sensitivity.



Period: Day 14

"Out the whole day + Feeling more normal"
Decided it’s time to explore a little of Seoul. Swelling is still evident in the morning. Making an effort to have my protein shake and vitamins in the morning before the start of the day. Bought banana milk for nutrition throughout the day when I was on the move. Taking blended posits Bone broth and plenty of fluids. Nutrition wise it is challenging to be out and to ensure getting adequate intake.



Period: Day 22




Period: Week 7





















Period: Week 10







































Comments