Real Patient Review: Korean Double Jaw + V-Line Surgery Results (Before and After)

Why I Got Double Jaw Surgery 

I didn't know throughout high school, but when I became an adult, people would mention my lower jaw was protruding, that I should get my teeth straightened, and ask me why only one of my lip corners would turn upward when I smiled. Comments like these made me self-conscious about my appearance. I decided to undergo double jaw surgery after seeing how my younger sister's appearance changed after her double jaw surgery. 

Why I Chose EU

As I previously mentioned, my sister had double jaw surgery at EU. My sister had consultations at other clinics, gathered information about clinic facilities and doctors' experience on cosmetic surgery apps and forums, and decided that she liked EU the most. Knowing how she selected EU and seeing how well she's doing without any complications to the extent that she has forgotten she had surgery, I didn't look into other clinics and decided to have my double jaw surgery at EU without any hesitation. 


Day 1 (Day of the Surgery) 

After I woke up from the anesthesia, I didn't experience any pain and was too spaced out and dumbfounded to speak. I was really thirsty, and I'm really thankful to the nurse who kept bringing me water throughout the night even though it must have been annoying to do so. She also changed my ice pack for me. Despite my concerns, I feel that the day went by pretty quickly. 


Day 2 

I thought I'd be really hungry, but that wasn't the case. I remember having a bit of Nucare and nothing more. However, I was extremely thirsty, so I kept drinking water. I felt much more comfortable after being able to go to the bathroom on my own since I was able to move around. My face started to slowly swell up on this day, so maybe that's why my throat began to string and my coughing started. This made it hard to breathe, so I wasn't able to get a good night's sleep :( 


Day 3

In the morning, I had the laser treatment to reduce swelling and had my surgical site disinfected as well. I was also taught how to put my wafer on before getting ready to be discharged. Although it was a busy morning, I was doing okay, so I was able to get home fine. However, I realized that it was more comfortable being in the clinic's hospital bed. My butt started to hurt, my body was in an uncomfortable position, and I started to feel hungry, which was all quite distressing. The swelling on this 3rd day wasn't particularly severe. I saw my face and even my vibe has changed so much, I keep looking in the mirror, lol. 


Day 4 

The swelling has definitely gone up in my face and in my mouth, so it was difficult to speak and to take my medicines. Despite this, my family members would tell me that I looked cute and that my face looked much smaller, which gave me the strength to power through! I hope the time goes by quickly so that I can eat tasty food and speak comfortably!


Day 5 

Today I went to the clinic for the first time since my discharge for the de-swelling laser treatment. Maybe it's because I haven't eaten anything, but it was really physically taxing to get there. I thought I was going to faint while going up the stairs, so I had to take the elevator up to the second floor where EU is located. Regardless, I think I need to get some type of physical movement by going on walks or coming in for the laser treatment every day. The consultant at EU told me that I didn't look very swollen, haha. I think my swelling has been going down, too. Perhaps I'm feeling better since I'm developing cravings for different foods. Resisting the urge for food is harder than expected :( I've been telling myself it's only for today and filled up my stomach with Nucare (a meal replacement drink).  

Day 6

Like yesterday, I had the pumpkin porridge my mom made me and went to the clinic for the laser treatment this morning. I don't know if it's the effects of the laser, but I think the swelling has gone down! The trip to the clinic was as tiring as expected, and I bought some vanilla ice cream from a convenience store on the way home. It was so good, I could've cried tears of joy, LOL. I didn't think I would experience bruising, but I noticed a blackish bruise beneath my chin this evening. Fortunately, the bruise is not visible because it's underneath my chin. 


Day 7

I have been looking in the mirror frequently to see how much the swelling has dissipated, LOL. Although the differences aren't drastic, seeing the swelling go down each day puts my mind at ease. I'll be going for my 1-week post-op disinfection tomorrow. Finally! For some reason, it feels like time has been going by more slowly compared to when I was working.


Day 8
I went to the clinic early this morning for the disinfection. My surgeon told me that the swelling would last longer than expected. I can't wait to see what my face will look like once the swelling completely dissipates, lol! After getting the de-swelling laser treatment, I came home. Since I was feeling dizzy, I made sure to nourish my body well Nucare and soft tofu. I was told to start brushing my teeth with a baby toothbrush yesterday--I should keep my teeth clean! 


Day 9
Today I'm heading down to my parent's place in Sokcho, Gangwon-do, where I'll be staying for a week. I started my trip this morning, and my face would move along with the car movements, and my facial muscles felt weird... It was the first time my family members got together in a while, so I talked a lot, which made my face feel stiff. I'm able to open my mouth wider gradually, and I'm adjusting to smiling as well! 


Day 12 

I met with my boyfriend for the first time since the surgery. He had seen photos of me after surgery, but he mentioned that seeing me in person was intriguing and that I looked cuter. My boyfriend is also curious about how I'll look once the swelling completely goes down, but I don't think he could be as eager as I am, hahaha. Because of the COVID pandemic, it's hard to go somewhere, so we went for a drive before getting porridge to go on the way home. Even though it was only for a short time, it was nice to get some fresh air and lift my spirits. I'm starting to be able to open my mouth wider, and although the reductions in the swelling are slight, I'm able to see the swelling go down each day. 

Day 18

I finally had my stitches removed today! My sister said it didn't hurt, but I just felt that it would hurt so I clenched my hand into a fist while the sutures were taken out, lol. My leave of absence from work is coming to an end, and I report back to work tomorrow. I'm curious about my co-workers' reactions. 


Day 19

It was my first day back at work since the surgery, and everyone was telling me to take off my mask as soon as I got to work. It was crazy, lol. Once my coworkers saw my face without my mask, they were all telling me that the surgery went really well. They also complimented me by saying that my still-swollen face was cute as well, which was uplifting to hear. I was worrying internally that my coworkers might say that I looked weird, but instead, they told me that my post-surgery face looked better and that it was a relief that the surgery was a success! Other than pronunciation difficulties due to wearing the wafer and hunger, there was nothing else that bothered me while working. 

Day 22
It's my fourth day back at work since my surgery, and I think my coworkers have gotten used to my post-surgery face as well. They have been telling me that they can see the swelling go down little by little each day. As for people from other departments, some noticed that my face looked different but couldn't pinpoint what had changed, while others mistook me for a different person. It's fun messing around with this these days. 

Day 32

At first, one month after surgery seemed so far away, but I went to the clinic for my 1-month post-op check-up today. The surgeon told me that the surgical site has been healing well and I'll become prettier if I avoid putting pressure on my lower jaw. I have been forcing my mouth closed without knowing... I should just keep my mouth open as if I'm spaced out, LOL. I also met with the orthodontist and had 2 screws in my upper jaw removed because they were causing me pain when my lips got caught in them when I laughed or smiled. I was scared to get the screws removed because I thought it would hurt, but to my surprise, it did not! Also, I was told I could have rice and noodles, and maybe it's because I've developed the habit of swallowing my food this past month, I just end up swallowing my food instead of chewing it. Regardless, I'm happy I can have a wider range of foods! 


Day 43
I'm having no difficulties going out and about my daily life to the point where I've started to forget that I have undergone surgery. Nowadays, my work colleagues have gotten used to my new face and they're no longer shocked to see my face without a mask. Since much of the swelling has dissipated, I've been hearing that I've gotten prettier quite a lot, lol. Also, I've been chewing my food a little lately. It still feels awkward to chew, but I have been starting to gain weight again since been eating a lot of things... lol. 


Day 67

I've been feeling that time has been going by too quickly since the 2-week mark after surgery. I can't believe two months have passed since my surgery. Now my colleagues at work seem to have forgotten I've undergone surgery. Perhaps it's because I've adapted to it and the results look natural. I think the major swelling has gone down considerably, while the residual swelling will take some more time to dissipate. Every time I hear that I am getting prettier, I feel happier as the decision to undergo surgery is not one I'll regret. As for food, I'm able to have all foods that are not hard or tough, so I am starting to gain weight again.  


3 Months Post-Op

Now that three months have passed, the swelling in my mouth and on my face has gone down. I'm doing well, and there are no inconveniences when I'm eating or going about my daily life! Similar to what others have said in their reviews, my work colleagues, who I see regularly, have told me they no longer remember my pre-surgery face at this point. They've also mentioned that my face truly has gotten much smaller, lol. I feel proud whenever I hear that someone doesn't remember how I looked before the surgery. This speaks volumes about how natural my post-surgery face looks! I had thought I made a good decision right after the surgery, but lately, I've been thinking it was an excellent choice. My weight is starting to return to my pre-surgery weight as there is a wider range of foods I can have now, including tender cuts of meat!  


4 Months Post-Op

Nowadays, I'm doing very well. I've almost forgotten that I had double jaw surgery! I'm gradually eating better, and I'm able to eat meat without any discomfort, which I'm really happy about in particular. Food does get trapped in my braces, but I'm still content, lol. Also, the alignment of my teeth is becoming prettier compared to before the surgery, so I no longer cover my mouth when I smile. I hope the COVID pandemic ends soon so that I can go out and about without a mask! 


5 Months Post-Op

Even the people I see regularly have been telling me that they no longer remember my pre-surgery face. I think my face has become more natural-looking, and the swelling on the inside of my cheeks and surgical incision marks have faded, which makes it much more comfortable to eat! 


7 Months Post-Op

It's been about 7 months since my surgery, and I have been doing really well without any side effects or discomfort. I'm incredibly satisfied with my decision to undergo surgery, so much so that I wonder if I should have had it earlier, lol. Recently, I met with a friend for the first time after my surgery, and she showered me with compliments, saying that the surgery was a success, and the natural look made me look even prettier. She also mentioned although she couldn't tell what had changed in the photos, she said my image had gotten much better and that the differences were more evident in my side profile. 


8 Months Post-Op

Before the surgery, I would cover my mouth when I smiled because of my snaggletooth and my jaw. Although I still look awkward when I smile because of my braces, it's great to be able to smile big even with them on. 


1 Year Post-Op 
I didn't think the time would go by, but a year has gone by since my double jaw surgery! I have gotten used to my current appearance, and even my family members say that they don't remember my pre-surgery face clearly now, lol. It makes me think about how much of a success my surgery was, considering how natural I look. This Lunar New Year, I was able to see my friends I couldn't meet up with last year because of my surgery. They told me that I look so much better and that I give off a gentler impression, along with many more compliments! I think my favorite one is that my face has become smaller, lol. My face shape doesn't bother me anymore when I take photos, and I'm really glad I had double jaw surgery!







Comments