Real Patient Review: Korean Zygoma Reduction + Square Jaw Surgery Results (Before and After)

Why I Had Facial Bone Contouring Surgery

Starting from my early 20s, the fact that the right side of my face was larger than the left side was a big source of stress for me. I had a lot of minor procedures done, but ultimately they didn’t correct my facial asymmetry, as it was a bone structure issue. As a result, I decided to undergo surgery before it was too late. 

Why I Chose EU

I had consultations at several plastic surgery clinics, but I was skeptical of their credibility as they were pushing for surgeries I didn’t need. After consultations with Dr. Shin and Dr. Kim, I felt that this was the place! There aren’t many days till my surgery, but I hope it is successful. 


Day 1

Today is the day of the surgery. The photo on the left was taken before I went into the operating room, and the one on the right was taken after surgery when I woke up from the anesthesia. To my surprise, there was virtually no swelling, but it was difficult to wake up from the anesthesia. I felt nauseated and my throat hurt, but I didn’t feel any pay in my bones. They just felt stiff? The anesthesia was the hardest part. I really wanted to drink water, and I remember every minute, every second feeling incredibly long. I didn’t need a post-surgical blood drainage bag, nor did I have a lot of bleeding, so I think Dr. Kim performed my surgery well. However, I had to sleep sitting down, which made my butt hurt. I was hospitalized overnight on the day of the surgery, and the nurse on the night shift was super friendly! She would come to my aid within 5 seconds after I pushed the call bell. I was very thankful. ​


Days 2-3

Since I typically don’t experience a lot of swelling after procedures, there wasn’t very much swelling at the surgical site. I haven’t been able to shower or wash my face yet, so I’d like to do that right away. For food, I’ve been limited to pumpkin porridge and soup, so I got hungry not long after. I’ve been able to speak as well—I think I’m able to recover quickly because I only had cheekbone reduction and square jaw surgery. ​


Day 7

This is me after having my cheekbone sutures removed! The swelling is starting to go down gradually, and there’s no pain in my jaw or cheekbones. However, the stitches and swelling inside my mouth are giving me some discomfort. The area around my temples started to hurt and feel tingly, so Dr. Kim said we could check with a CT scan. This had to be done after the Lunar New Year holiday, and Dr. Kim said that my bones had been healing well. I’m hungry, but I’m not losing weight :( I had lots of ice cream and cake that didn’t require chewing. People have been asking me how I’m seemingly perfectly fine and recovering so quickly :)​


Day 13

I’m going to get my intraoral stitches removed tomorrow! Before surgery, I mentioned wanting my asymmetry fixed and a natural look, and I truly do look natural after surgery. I’m happy. I thought about whether I should’ve had my facial outline trimmed more, and although Dr. Kim said that was possible, I requested that the trimming be minimal, so I’m satisfied with the results. ​


2 Months Post-Op

It’s been a little over 2 months. I took a photo with the default phone camera and my facial outline is noticeably different from before. I’ve been eating really well lately, so I’ve gained weight :( My food intake isn’t affecting my new facial outline, so I’m eating well. I’m still careful about avoiding hard foods, but I’m able to have meat unless it’s particularly tough. Seeing that my facial asymmetry has gotten much better makes me happy. There’s no pain, and sometimes I forget that I’ve undergone surgery. The skin around my eyes is still tender, but I think this will get better over time. My recovery is going very well. ​



3 Months Post-Op

I’ve been doing very well over the past month. My cheeks are chubby because I have been eating well. The swelling is going down, too. Since this May, I’ve developed a mild infection in my sinuses, so I went to the clinic where Dr. Kim examined me and wrote me a prescription. I hope this clears up quickly. Aside from this infection, I’m extremely satisfied. My former wide face is not something I miss. I’m looking forward to when the swelling goes down more so that I can take prettier selfies! ​



4 Months Post-Op

It will be 5 months since my surgery soon! I’m comfortable chewing and able to feel sensations in my skin again, but I went to the clinic again because I’ve developed scar tissue near one of the plates placed in surgery. It’s disappointing, but at the same time, I wonder if I should be relieved since I can feel it shake when I run or make big movements. I feel conflicted. Aside from this, I have been and am still very satisfied. I don’t miss my pre-surgery facial outline. Nowadays, I’m thinking about how great it’d be once I recover completely. ​



5 Months Post-Op

The swelling has gone down considerably, and my facial outline looks natural as well. I’m doing well without any major discomfort! ​


6 Months Post-Op

Any discomfort I had after the surgery isn’t very noticeable anymore. I really think it takes about 6 months to recover considerably. I’ve forgotten that I’ve had surgery, and I’m happy with my facial outline! 



8 Months Post-Op

My facial outline has become softer, so I tried tying my hair into a ponytail. Since the swelling went down a lot, it's not noticeable at all that I had surgery. I’m doing well, too :)​



9 Months Post-Op

There’s no discomfort, and I’m doing very well! ​


11 Months Post-Op

Short hair never looked good on me, but now it does! Dr. Kim is brilliant! 



12 Months Post-Op

There’s nothing in particular giving me any discomfort, and I’m doing well. It’s been a year since my surgery, but I’ve been going about my life having forgotten I had surgery. There’s no discomfort whatsoever, and the remaining residual swelling went down considerably with time! ​








Comments